Frequently Asked Questions

    How can I get the "mentor hold" on my account removed?

    Students must meet with their assigned mentor/advisor before the registration period to discuss courses for the following semester to have the hold removed.

    What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?

    Dropping a course occurs when you remove yourself from a course before or during the drop/add period. The course will not be posted on your transcript and does not count as attempted credit.

    Withdrawing from a course occurs when you remove yourself from a course after the drop/add deadline. Students who withdraw from a course before the withdrawal deadline will receive a “W” for the course grade. A grade of “W” will not impact your GPA, but will be posted on your transcript. Withdrawing from a course after the withdrawal deadline will result in a “WF” for the course grade. A grade of “WF” will affect your GPA and be posted on your transcript.

    Check the academic calendar for the drop/add and withdrawal deadlines.

    How do I change my major?

    Students should first meet with their mentor/advisor to discuss career interests and the major program plan. View steps on how to change your major.

    What courses are required for my major?

    Courses required for graduation are listed on the major program plans. Course requirements are also listed in Degree Works, which can be found through Grizzly Den within Banner. Students should meet with their mentor/advisor to review specific major requirements.

    Where do I get tutoring on campus?

    Students can receive tutoring in the Academic Enhancement Center.

    How many classes should I take?

    Students should consider a number of factors when deciding the number of classes to enroll in each semester, such as work and family obligations, extra-curricular activities, transportation and the types of classes. Additionally, it is important to remember that you should spend approximately two hours of studying outside of class for every one hour you are registered for. 

    Suggested number of credit hours based on number of work hours:

    • Working 40 hours per week: 3 – 6 credit hours
    • Working 30 hours per week: 3 – 9 credit hours
    • Working 20 hours per week: 6 – 12 credit hours
    • Working fewer than 20 hours: 12 – 17 credit hours

    *Full-time status for financial aid purposes is 12 credit hours. Students completing only 12 credit hours per semester will take longer to complete their degree.

    What are Student Success courses?

    Student Success courses are learning support courses required by the Board of Regents to help students succeed in college-level courses.

    What courses are offered?

    Student Success English

    • ENGL 0999 Support for English Composition/ENGL 1101* English Composition I (Segue English)

    Student Success Math

    • MATH 0996A Support for Elementary Statistics/ MATH 1401^ Elementary Statistics (Access Math – Elementary Statistics, 6 credit level)
    • MATH 0997A Support for Quantitative Reasoning/ MATH 1001^ Quantitative Reasoning (Access Math – Quantitative Reasoning, 6 credit level)
    • MATH 0997B Support for Quantitative Reasoning/ MATH 1001* Quantitative Reasoning (Access Math – Quantitative Reasoning, 5 credit level)
    • MATH 0998A Support for Math Modeling/MATH 1101* Math Modeling (Access Math – Math Modeling, 6 credit level)
    • MATH 0999B Support for College Algebra/MATH 1111* College Algebra (Access Math – College Algebra, 5 credit level)

    EAP/English for Academic Purposes (For students for whom English is not their first language)

    • ENGL 0999E Support for English Composition/ENGL 1101^ English Composition I (EAP Segue English)

    Can I delay taking a Student Success course until a later semester and take all college-level classes now?

    No, Student Success courses take priority.

    Students may take some additional college-level courses along with the Student Success courses. (See GGC catalog or GGC course schedule for prerequisites.)

    Can I withdraw from a Student Success course?

    No, students must remain in their Student Success courses unless they also withdraw from their college-level courses. Special circumstances must be approved by a Student Success Advising Center advisor.

    How do I exit Student Success courses?

    Students exit the co-requisite-level Student Success course by passing the corresponding college-level course in English (ENGL 1101) or mathematics (MATH 1001, MATH 1101, MATH 1111, or MATH 1401) with a C or better.

    What is the 30-hour rule?

    Students must complete their Student Success courses before earning 30 hours of college credit or they may only take Student Success courses.

    Students with transfer credit who are required to take Student Success courses may earn up to 30 additional credit-hours of college-level coursework. After earning those additional hours, students must enroll in Student Success courses only.

    What are attempts?

    An attempt is the number of times a student takes a Student Success course.

    Co-requisite courses ENGL 0999, MATH 0997, MATH 0998 or MATH 0999 have no limit on the number of attempts.

    How is my GPA calculated?

    View detailed information on GGC's grading system and how your GAP is calculated from the Registrar's office.